Records relating to keyword "Water"
- New GAO testimony on 'Rebuilding Iraq', 28 Sept 2006 (26 Sept 2006)
Keywords: Economic Reconstruction GAO Water Infrastructure Oil Electricity
New congressional testimony by the US federal oversight body, the Government Accountability Office, on the progress of US-funded reconstruction efforts. Reports that (as of August 2006):
- crude oil production is lower than pre-war levels (2.4 million barrels per day (mbpd), compared to the prewar level of 2.6 mbpd)
- electricity generation was at 4,855 megawatts, above the prewar level of 4,300 megawatts, but below the US goal of 6,000 megawatts.
- treated water delivery stands at 1.44 million cubic meters per day, compared to the U.S. goal of 2.4 million cubic meters.
Violence and conflict is blamed for much of this shortfall. But within this uncertain context the GAO found that the US Department of Defense risked inflating the costs and delays of reconstruction further by
- awarding some reconstruction contracts without defining "the work to be performed and its projected costs"
- lacking the necessary personnel to administrate contracts
- circumventing competition rules on awarding contracts by simply adding new, unrelated work to existing contracts (for instance, contracting for translators under an environmental services contract)