Records relating to keyword "Oil"
- Iraq Pipeline Watch
Keywords: Oil Infrastructure Security
Timeline of attacks on Iraqi pipelines, oil installations, and oil personnel, from the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security. Frequently updated.
- New GAO testimony on 'Rebuilding Iraq', 28 Sept 2006 (26 Sept 2006)
Keywords: Economic Reconstruction GAO Water Infrastructure Oil Electricity
New congressional testimony by the US federal oversight body, the Government Accountability Office, on the progress of US-funded reconstruction efforts. Reports that (as of August 2006):
- crude oil production is lower than pre-war levels (2.4 million barrels per day (mbpd), compared to the prewar level of 2.6 mbpd)
- electricity generation was at 4,855 megawatts, above the prewar level of 4,300 megawatts, but below the US goal of 6,000 megawatts.
- treated water delivery stands at 1.44 million cubic meters per day, compared to the U.S. goal of 2.4 million cubic meters.
Violence and conflict is blamed for much of this shortfall. But within this uncertain context the GAO found that the US Department of Defense risked inflating the costs and delays of reconstruction further by
- awarding some reconstruction contracts without defining "the work to be performed and its projected costs"
- lacking the necessary personnel to administrate contracts
- circumventing competition rules on awarding contracts by simply adding new, unrelated work to existing contracts (for instance, contracting for translators under an environmental services contract)
- Geographical Distribution of Iraq's Oil Fields and Its Relation with the New Constitution (May 2006)
- $18 billion - Iraq's Annual Oil Losses (11 Apr 2006)
Keywords: Corruption Oil
Short analysis of lost oil revenue by Dr. Walid Khaddur. Ascribes losses to (1) underproduction, (2)imports and (3) smuggling.
- Managing Iraq's Petroleum (Apr 2006)
Report by Iraq Revenue Watch on a meeting of oil experts looking at the future of managing oil revenues in Iraq
- Second Transparency Report on Smuggling of Crude Oil and Petroleum (2006)
Keywords: Oil Corruption Smuggling
This document, produced by the inspector general of Iraq's ministry of oil and translated by Revenue Watch, describes corruption in the oil sector, and particularly the multi-billion dollar smuggling of crude petroleum and refined products.
- 'Iraqi Oil Wealth: Issues of Government and Development' - Policy Recommendations from Discussions at the London Conference (July 2005)
The group's policy recommendations focus on how to promote economic reconstruction, transparency and accountability, equitable revenue distribution, and how to prevent corruption. Most importantly, they urge Iraqis to create an environment in which political, economic, and social actors can participate in developing an oil industry that will support Iraq's transition to democracy.